Monday, March 14, 2016

Sancho Panza's Words of Wisdom for the Week of 3/14

Don Quixote gives Sancho advice as he embarks on his governorship. Sancho, as always, gives Don Quixote an earful of advice. If only I could copy the entirety of  chapter 43 here, which is littered with proverbs! 

From chapter 43. Illustration by Gustave DorĂ©. 
Source: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/5946/5946-h/5946-h.htm#ch43b

I like this one for Sancho’s description of himself:

“By God, my lord and master,” replied Sancho, “your grace complains about very small things. Why the devil does it trouble you when I make use of my fortune, when I have no other, and no other wealth except proverbs and more proverbs? And right now four have come to mind that are a perfect fit, like pears in a wicker basket, but I won’t say them, because golden silence is what they call Sancho.” (chapter 43, p. 736)

I’d also like to take this moment to remind you of the event on the Cave of Montesinos that the Center for Humanities is sponsoring on Tuesday. Find more details here.



No comments:

Post a Comment