Thursday, September 10, 2015

NPR interviews author of new book about Don Quixote

On Tuesday, NPR's Robert Siegel interviewed Ilan Stavans, author of Quixote: The Novel and the World (W.W. Norton, 2015). The two discussed the impact of Don Quixote, its influence on later writers and leaders, the subjective nature of reality, and impossible dreams.

STAVANS: I have written a book that is about the book that has defined me as a person since I was a teenager. It is a book that has changed every time I read it. I have understood the meaning of a classic based on this many readings when I was a young man. I thought this was a book about an idealist. And now that I am the age of the character - I am in my 50s - I have concluded that it is about a middle-age crisis and it is about trying to reconnect with the dreams that you had as a young person.
Click here to listen to the interview or read the transcript.

1 comment:

  1. Stavans also wrote this 2008 piece for the NEH on Don Quixote translations: http://www.neh.gov/humanities/2008/septemberoctober/feature/one-master-many-cervantes

    ReplyDelete