For the September 17 reading group meeting, we’ll be reading chapters 9-21 and focusing on the defense of Marcela’s character in chapter 14.
By chapter 21, our squire and illustrious knight, who in chapter 19 is given the name “The Knight of the Sorrowful Face,” have had a few (mis)adventures together. Sancho seems to reside at the edge of Don Quixote’s madness. Sometimes Sancho is captured by it (see p. 103). At other times, he seems willing to indulge his master’s madness in hopes of obtaining a governorship of an ínsula. In any case, he’s usually quite willing to tell his master what he thinks. Sancho’s is especially verbose when it comes to saving his own skin or when bemoaning failed quests:
“Even so, I want you to know brother Sancho,” replied Don Quixote, “that there is no memory that time does not erase, no pain not ended by death.”
“Well, what misfortune can be greater,” replied Panza, “than waiting for time to end it and death to erase it? If this misfortune of ours was the kind that could be cured with a couple of poultices, it wouldn’t be so bad, but I can see that all the poultices in a hospital won’t be enough to set us straight again.”
“Stop that now and find strength in weakness Sancho, Don Quixote responded. (Chapter 15, p. 107)
Just as Sancho teeters on the edge of madness, Don Quixote walks a line between accepting Sancho’s quips as an equal would, and taking offense that Sancho does not treat him, the great knight, with the deference he deserves (see p. 150). Sancho’s familiarity with Don Quixote minimizes the “proper” hierarchy between master and servant.
In contrast to Sancho’s growing acceptance of Don Quixote’s world view, Marcela’s words of wisdom are pragmatic and grounded. Against accusations that her cruelty has led Grisóstomo to his death, Marcela proclaims, “If I had kept him by me, I would have been false; if I had gratified him, I would have gone against my own best intentions and purposes. He persisted though I discouraged him, he despaired though I did not despise him: tell me now if it is reasonable to blame me for his grief” (100). Perhaps wisdom is best revealed when a speaker has no ulterior motives.
No comments:
Post a Comment