Monday, October 17, 2016

We Begin with Macbeth!

Aimee and I are so excited to begin the reading group this year by diving into Shakespeare's Macbeth! What better time to dive into this brilliant (and terrifying) play than a few days before All Hallows' Eve. And what better time to read about the dangers of pursuing power for its own sake than now, as we face this remarkably unusual election.
You may have read the play before. Maybe it's been a while. However, as you know, if there's anybody that deserves to be read over and over again, it's Shakespeare. I've read these plays countless times, and I always find something new in them. They always make me think, and they always move me.
I do hope you can join us on Tuesday, October 25th, from 1-2 PM in the Hood College Library conference room.


Macbeth consulting the Vision of the Armed Head by Johann Heinrich Füssli

For the record, I think it's important to always remember that Shakespeare's plays were never meant to be read - they were meant to be experienced in performance. Hamlet says to the players, "we'll hear a play tomorrow." He doesn't say we'll read one. With that in mind, it never hurts to watch a film or listen to an audio recording of the play. 

There's a summary here:

Come with thoughts, questions, and comments for the group. Feel free to invite your friends. I can't wait to meet you all and to talk about this remarkable work of literature with you.

Let me know if you have any thoughts or questions!

Aaron Angello

1 comment:

  1. Hood students and faculty members can watch a streaming video production here.

    ReplyDelete