Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Mark Your Calendars - Richard III - Nov 18th

First of all, I want to thank all the people who came out to the Shakespeare reading group meet-up on Tuesday. What a fascinating discussion of Macbeth. I had such a great time discussing that fascinating and complex play with such a smart group of people. So thank you!
Next, we are going to read Richard III because, really, murderous kings are like potato chips - you can't have just one. Of course, I also think talking about the play in relation to Macbeth could be really fruitful.
Our next meeting is scheduled for:
Friday, November 18th at 1 pm
Hood College Library, Room 2007

First of all, this is awesome: http://www.stageworkmckellen.com/ The great Shakespearean actor, Sir Ian McKellen, who recently play a memorable Richard, discusses the famous opening speech. Here he is, looking particularly creepy:

If you're interested in the historical Richard (and who isn't?) and the recent discovery and reburial of his body, you might want to check out this story from the CBC:


I also like to have a reference for the genealogy of kings in Shakespeare's histories. This is a site that makes it all pretty clear, I think:

See you all soon!

Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment