Monday, November 30, 2015

Sancho Panza's wisdom for the week of 11/30

Don Quixote and his companions (or, depending on your point of view, his captors) gather to listen to the goatherd's story. Sancho declines to stay for the story. His reasoning has to do with food. I am currently in an airport traveling back home from my Thanksgiving celebration. Whenever I travel, I always worry about food. My flight has already been delayed an hour--will I get hungry? I've finished reading this week's section, chapters 50-52, while eating an enormous pile of Taco Bell. I had a big lunch--soup, salad, and yesterday's leftover waffles. I'm probably still full enough from Thanksgiving dinner to forgo a few meals. I've had supper. I have an apple for later. I will get a coffee. I shouldn't be worried about food. But still, Sancho's words (sadly? pathetically? humanly?) speak to me.
"I pass," said Sancho. "I'm going over to that brook with this meat pie, where I plan to eat enough for three days, because I've heard my master, Don Quixote, say that the squire of a knight errant has to eat whenever he can, and as much as he can, because they might go into woods so deep they can't find their way out again for six days, and if the man isn't full, or his saddlebags aren't well-provisioned, he might stay there, as often happens, until his flesh wrinkles and dries like a mummy's."

"You are correct, Sancho," said Don Quixote. (chapter 50, p. 433)
Well, who can argue with Sancho Panza and Don Quixote?

No comments:

Post a Comment