Monday, April 18, 2016

Sancho Panza’s Words of Wisdom for the Week of 4/17

I have begun to hear proverbs everywhere. For example, I am currently watching season three of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (which may be my favorite Star Trek series). In a recent episode, the Ferengi Quark (who may be my favorite DS9 character) reflected on why he chose to open a bar/casino on the space station, despite the advice of his father:


“Home is where the heart is, but the stars are made of latinum.”

Armin Shimerman as Quark from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine


I wonder if Sancho would feel the same about his adventures with Don Quixote. Though not quite as profit-driven as a typical Ferengi, Sancho’s eye is always on the prize, even if the prize is a moving target.


In a previous meeting we discussed how in Part 2 Sancho grows more quixotic and Don Quixote becomes a little Sancho-fied. In Professor Caminals-Heath’s lecture on the Cave of Montesinos, she made a suggestion that Don Quixote is jealous of Sancho’s ability to recite (and perhaps synthesize) proverbs. In our final reading, Don Quixote is able to craft some proverbs himself!


In chapter 67, Don Quixote and Sancho decide to take up a pastoral life and leave knight errantry behind (at least for a year). Sancho has been reflecting on how his daughter will adapt to a shepherdess’ life.


“Sanchica, my daughter, will bring food up to our flocks. But wait! She’s a good-looking girl, and there are shepherds are wicked than simple, and I wouldn’t want her to go for wool and come back shorn; love and unchaste desires are as likely in the countryside as in the cities, in shepherd's huts as in royal palaces, and if you take away the cause, you take away the sin, and if your eyes don’t see, your heart doesn’t break, and a jump over the thicket is better than the prayers of good men.” (chapter 67, p. 901).


This is TOO MUCH for Don Quixote:


“I have often advised you not to be so prodigal in your proverbs and to restrain yourself from saying them, but it seems that is like preaching in the desert, and ‘My mother punishes me, and I deceive her.’” (chapter 67, pp. 901-902).

Sancho can’t help reply that Don Quixote has called the kettle black! Thought Sancho and Don Quixote's relationship has certainly developed, I am glad that their banter has continues to entertain consistently through the novel.  



Illustration from chapter 67 of part II by Gustave Doré

No comments:

Post a Comment